Sunday, March 25, 2012

Spring Break Was Not a Break...

With spring break crashing to an abrupt close, I'm finding it necessary to channel all of the forces I can muster for 6 more weeks of focus.  I still have a lot to do in the next six weeks.  I may have mentioned this before, but 5 classes plus 2 labs is like taking 7 classes (a lot of freaking school time).  ECSU estimates that for every hour spent in class, there should be two hours of homework...  so, 21 hours of class means 42 hours of homework per week?  Crap. 

Anyhow, I spent my spring break working at both the post office and my firewood job, and I took on the joyful task of painting the kitchen, the living room, and the hallway - purple, green, and green respectively.  Also, for the entire week, the weather hovered above 60 degrees during the day with glorious sunshine, so it was almost like being on vacation someplace really nice.  The weather, and the fact that I was "on break" made it tough for me to follow my training schedule, so I just rode outside as much as possible and enjoyed myself.  Back to work with the plan tomorrow (rest day, thankfully).

I capped off the break with the first race of the mountain bike season today.  It would figure that the beautiful week would have a forecast of rain for the race, so I thought the best option would be to bring my 26er with the grippy tires.  The course had lot of wooden bridges and roots that would be pretty greasy with wet weather.  The 29er (yeah, I have that option now) would have been faster and less brutal, but the tires on that bike are not something I'd have been comfortable with on wet wood.  As luck would have it, the course was bone dry.  I would have been fine.  I managed a 3rd place finish.  It wasn't my best race, but I certainly left as much as I could on the course, and did a fun lap with some of the guys afterward.  I'm tired and look forward to sitting on my butt at school tomorrow.  

*girl stuff to follow...
So, I blogged about this topic before, but I gotta say, being a female is rough.  I had a feeling I was going to get a visit from my least favorite aunt today.  I even calculated the day based on the classic method of counting the days out on the calendar, and it looked grim.  Crossing your fingers for it to hold off a day or two doesn't work, just in case anyone was wondering.  Aunt Flo arrived right on time, first thing this morning.  Needless to say, I was feeling very under the weather for the race.  Biologically, what do guys have to deal with?  Spontaneous boners?  Balding?  Poor them.  

4 comments:

  1. Hey we got problems, let me tell yah. Well...kinda. You pretty much had ir right on your list. Great job today. I was thnking about you and if you and everyone else would get faqked out by the weather reports vs reality. I as well did NOT go out on my MTB as planned to to report. Great day to MTB;) I HIT it inside instead. PR day actually, but would rather have been out. Congrats on today. -Graeme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch... I'm hoping to be in better form next week. What I'm really looking forward to is school to be out so I can really focus on training and racing. For now, I'm not going to let the crappy race results get to me. This isn't the time of year to look for the results just yet. I have to focus on the school stuff. It's not an excuse to suck, by ANY means, but I know where my priorities should be right now, and I'm okay with them (sort of). Come May, I can really start to focus on fitness. :)

      Delete
  2. What do you think causes baldness?
    Spontaneous boners of course.

    I though you got 2nd?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, Ellen Noble, Susan Lynch, then me... Spontaneous BALDNESS! AGHHHHH! (spontaneous baldness is what happens when your wife gets really pissed and waits for you to fall asleep so she can give you a haircut...)

      Delete

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.