Friday, January 10, 2014

Bike-Commuting: I Need to Start

For a while now, I've been doing a lot of yammering on about how, one of these days, I'm going to start commuting to work and/or school by bike.

Like everybody (except the people who actually commute), I've had tons of excuses over the years for why that hasn't actually happened (with the exception of the very few occasions when I did commute). 

The current bike lock-up option at ECSU.  Doing it wrong.
Beside the fact that I need to get my 10 year-old off to school in the morning, I also need to carry schoolbooks, lunch, and clothing.  There's nowhere at Eastern for me to keep anything, so what I bring has to stay with me     
all     
day     
long.

I did send an email to the Dean of students in the hopes that he'll direct me to someone who's in charge of university planning and spending.  Of course, I made sure to mention that ECSU is one of the “greenest schools in the state,” and that they could do better.  Then I suggested that they get some bikelockers, and I even provided them a bunch of links.

But let’s get real.  I’m going to be done with school in December, I need a place to keep my bike now, and there aren’t going to be any really awesome solutions anytime soon. 

So, here’s what I’m going to do: I’m going to bring my bike into the basement of the science building, and lock it up there.  I’m going to ask someone if I can have access to a closet, or a cupboard, or something where I can keep some food and clean clothes.  I’m not going to take “no” for an answer.  Then I’m going to try to ride in at least 2 days per week. 

A photo I found on the web. Doing it weird.
Now, I’ve got two options for where I’m going to start my commute.  One is in Brooklyn, CT – I have to drop my daughter off there anyhow, so I could just “park and ride.” I could probably even keep my bike there if I wanted to in between commute days.  The other option is to start at Goodwin and take the airline trail into Willimantic. 

Starting from Brooklyn, I’d be taking a lot of dirt roads and eventually the airline trail too, but I’d have to ride on Route 6 for a stretch (dangerous, even by car).  Google maps estimates that trip to take about 2 hours, but I’m guessing, it would be a little less. 

From Goodwin, it looks like the ride is about 10 miles, and G-maps estimates that at just under an hour.  Based on the handful of times I’ve ridden that stretch in the past, I know I can do it in about 45 minutes if I push.  But I wasn’t carrying a bunch of crap when I rode it then either. 

If I’m going to give this a whirl, this coming week will be the week to try it.  In fact, Monday looks ideal – first day of the spring semester, no homework to worry about yet, and decent weather. 
 
Downtown Boulder, CO.  Doing it right.  
I finally have all the gear I really need (winter riding shoes, YES!).  But there are just TWO more things that I’m probably going to want if I really commit to this: 1) Fenders, because DIRT, and 2) Bar Mitts, because COLD.  Here’s hoping this commuting thing sticks so I can pimp my ride.

Now, beside the fact that this is going to be good for me, I’ll save a crap-load of money on fuel, and I’ll get to ride my bike more often (making me a more tolerable person).  Plus, other people commute all the time, and that is pretty darn inspiring - role models are so great. 

One of these "people" is my buddy, Steve. After asking him for a few commuter tips (he’s been commuting regularly for years now), he went above and beyond by dishing out a 4-part blog series. 

Here’s part 1: The Intro

Then came: Food

This one is pretty detailed, and very helpful: Gear

And this one is my absolute favorite: What’s in the bag?

But that’s not all.  Via the ever-amazing Twitter, Steve introduced me to @ryantkelly who wrote this: how to commute to work by bike.

I stole this pic from the here. Doing it right x3.
Anything, and probably everything you want to know about commuting is in one of those links. 

Now comes the real challenge…

…walking the talk.  Or in this case, riding it. 

That’s where this bunch of yammering comes in.  If I say it on the internet, it means I have to do it, right? 


So if you’re reading this, I want to know: 1) What are your excuses, 2) If you do commute, please tell me your secrets, and 3) Do you want to take the challenge to start this week? 

2 comments:

  1. I'm working on a part 5 (leftovers). One of the items, of which I was reminded of last night, was that you can't have warm hands without a warm core. It was about 10 deg warmer on the way home than going in yesterday so I went with one less layer. My core was never "cold" but I think whatever warmth I did generate went to keep my core warm and my hands payed dearly. It doesn't help that the last 3 mi of my commute home is mostly downhill. It's hard to keep warm when you aren't working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Liz! I always commute, but it isn't as far as for you (6 mi each way into Boston). IMO the basics are fenders, rack, panniers (hate carrying stuff on my back) and good lights. In the winter bar mitts are def nice. I use flat pedals and regular shoes/boots, but I might use mtb pedals if it were longer. I bet you can find somewhere to stow stuff (you may also find you don't really need to change as much as you'd think, esp when it's not summer) -- I have come to the conclusion that my panniers and clothes are not generally attractive to other people, so I'm less fussy about where I leave them than I used to be.... Do it!!

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.