Sunday, May 25, 2014

Destination: Singletrack Summer Camp 2014

While I am patiently waiting for the first stage of #TSEpic to begin, I thought I’d post an update on how things are going so far… 

…this is going to be awesome.

The ride down with Gary from Death Row Velo was mostly uneventful and filled with a combination of Pandora stations: dubstep, 80s metal hairbands, and Stevie Wonder. Jesse’s Honda Element was packed to the ceiling with stuff (mostly mine), and with four bikes on the back, it was longer than a short bus. 

We got into town sometime after 3pm, claimed our spots in Eagle Lodge, and quickly rolled out on our bikes to stretch our legs and check out the first couple of miles of the 15 mile TT course (Stage 1). It’s tough to say what the course is like because we only saw a small portion of it, but I can say this: there is mud, the rocks are sharp, and the roots are slippery.

Shortly after our ride, we found Rachel (Bikeman) and helped her unpack, and we met up with Leslie and Ben (Riverside Racing) for a group dinner downtown of Thai food. Food choices? We all went with “safe.” 

By the time we arrived back to camp, it was time for bed, and I think we had lights out around 10:30. I think most people had a tough time sleeping, but for once, I slept pretty well and somehow managed to stay in bed until 7:30ish. And by 8am, just about everyone was up and bustling around the lodge’s kitchen. Just about everyone staying here has a meal plan that includes breakfast and dinner, but it doesn’t start until tonight. 

We spent the rest of the morning prepping our bikes and checking in to pickup our schwag bags and electronic timing cards (we’ll use those to scan in and out of the enduro segments).
The goods #TSEpic


Apparently back in January, the company that processed our registration entries lost all of the paperwork for the racers here, and that put a whole bunch of confusion into who had signed up for what. For example, I paid for a meal plan, but there was no record of that. Fortunately, they took me at my word when I checked in today, or else I probably would not survive the week. Also, there was a brief moment last night when it looked as though I wouldn’t be rooming with Rachel, but that situation was easily settled (I feel so bad for the promoters who are dealing with the mix-up from that registration company).

For the rest of the day, I’ve been trying to get organized, making friends with the Canadians we are living with on the lower level of Eagle Lodge, and trying to stay calm. Seeing the starting order for the TT got me a little freaked out as I took note of the fast women and men who would be chasing me down as they come from behind, staggered at 30 second intervals. But it’s all good. Today will be short compared to everything else we’ll be doing this week. I’m focusing on a clean and efficient week of riding, starting today. 

Our race meeting starts at 2pm…

…I should probably get dressed now. 


Stay tuned.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.