Thursday, October 6, 2011

As if you wanted to know... but I'm going to talk about it anyway because I can.

Periods. No, not the punctuational ones. I bring this up because, as an "athlete" (so weird to call myself that), I find that the dreaded monthly cycle of hormones tends to effect my performance on the bike.

I know this may seem a strange topic to blog about, but I'm sure I'm not the only female on the planet who feels a little "off" when they are trying to perform at an A-game level during a visit from Aunt Flo. I noticed this a few years ago myself, but with all of the riding/training I've done this year, I'm noticing it again. It seems pretty fair to say that I'm finding a real correlation between the way I feel on the bike and the way my hormones are doing their thing.

So, to explain, I've broken it down so ya'll know what I'm getting at:
WEEK 1 - we'll call this "the week after" - I feel ok on the bike. I'm not overly tired, but I don't feel overly powerful either.
WEEK 2 - "normal" - I feel normal... maybe a bit more on the strong side.
WEEK 3 - "A-game" - I feel focused and strong and I can ride like a maniac.
WEEK 4 - "game over" - I feel depleted. I feel like I have low wattage... very big let down after "A-game" week.

I was curious whether or not my findings have any bearing in the scientific world, so I searched some medical journal sites. Basically, there is no scientific evidence on vo2max or lactate threshold that shows women's hormonal changes having any effect on athletic performance. The only area where there is a measurable effect came when women were in the hormonal stage that slightly alters their body temperature and they worked out for a prolonged amount of time in high temperatures. Essentially, if it was hot out during the week before their period, they got tired faster than they would have if they were in a different point in their cycle.

I guess I'm a quack. It's all in my head. Having my period is just my excuse for not being in my "A-game." OR, there really is no quantifiable way to measure whether the hormones are having an effect on my cycling... my quacky theory is this: hormones come from the pituitary gland in the brain (your head), therefore, it SURE IS all in your head. Maybe all of that hormone secretion going on up there is also making me perceive myself to be more tired, even if my muscles are working at the same physical level they always are. I can't seem to find any studies involving that.

So, to you men who don't have to deal with hormonal fluctuation in regards to your athletic performance, be grateful. Also be grateful that you can pee from your bike. To you ladies, is it all in your head too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.