Sunday, October 2, 2011

Road Riding... It's been a while.

I finally got out and did my first actual "group" road ride of the year. In fact, it was my first road ride in months. I got to a point this summer where I was out riding on the road but wishing I was in the woods the entire time, so I stopped training on the road and started riding my a$$ off in the woods. I always thought I needed the road to get fast in the woods, but that's a big stinky lie. I did just fine and was tons happier hiding in the woods for the rest of the summer. That being said, I will still try to ride the road next spring/ summer for fitness, but I'm not going to make myself the way I used to.

So, today was the Ashford Metric Century, which had a full century option that I intend to do next year (Andy Chambers tells me it's the hardest one around)... I like pain. The weather for today said "spotty showers." Our first "spotty shower" hit before we left the parking lot. I say we... this was the three QVV members I found in the parking lot to ride with. We took off in a bit of rain, and it got heavier as we went. Within the first mile or two, one guy got a flat. We did a team effort to change it, and upon filling the new tube (which wasn't really new, but patched) with air, it went flat again. The second effort was better - meanwhile it was POURING.

It poured for the first 14 miles. At that point, there was an option of splitting off to do the smaller 25 mile loop or staying on course for the 62+. Two folks peeled off (I can't blame them, it was miserable), and two of us continued on - as did the rain. It poured through Woodstock and into Brooklyn. I think the rain finally stopped as we reached Brooklyn. All through Pomfret though, the water washed down the roads in rivers. It was insane. People must have thought we were lunatics riding our bikes in that nonsense.

Overall, the route was hilly, the aide stations were REALLY well stocked (so many cookies), the people were friendly, and I had a great time. I guess I can't really call it a group ride, because it was really only me and another person the whole time... and most of the time we were split up because we don't ride at the same level, but the ride itself had a LOT of people registered. Proceeds for the ride are benefitting the Ashford Rec. Department.

So, that's that. I finally got back out on the road. Oh yeah, best part? I got to borrow Donnie D's (www.bikect.com) specialized roubaix pro. I was thinking I would hold it for ransom... I kind of like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.