Monday, June 3, 2013

Domnarski Farm XC MTB Race 2013: Squishy Tire Sprint Finish

Photo Courtesy of Matt Domnarski - Joanne Grogan, me, and Ellen Noble 

In 2009, I raced one of my first "expert" races at Domnarski Farm - back before we called it cat 1.  This was the first year that the Root 66 Series visited the venue, and it was same the year I got the iron rider award for finishing every race in the series.  Racing sport (now cat 2) all season, I moved up to expert after nationals (which were at Mt. Snow), and finished the season out at the Farm after having completed the Marathon race at Landmine the week before.  It was an awesome start to what has become a real passion in my life.  It took me 2 hours and 53 minutes to complete two laps on the course  that year.  Last year, I finished at about 2 hours and 16 minutes, and this year it took almost two minutes longer...  regardless, this was by far my best performance there.


There were only three of us in the pro/open field at the starting line, but as usual, it was a stacked field.  Ellen Noble is the junior national cyclocross champion, and Joanne Grogan is a strong racer on the cyclocross scene as well.  My goal for the race, as usual, was to stay with the leaders.  As always with my starts, I chose to ease into it.  The course starts out with a fair amount of climbing, at it was over 80 degrees out, so I didn't want to make myself sick on the first lap.  Joanne was having some trouble settling in, so I made a pass as soon as we hit double track and tried to make my way up to Ellen who had already put a decent gap on us.  I kept her in sight on the double track, but when we hit the singletrack, I managed to loose site of her.  In the past, I've found that area to get bottlenecked with racers, but this year, I rode that section without anyone to pass or anyone trying to pass me - it was nice and I was able to relax and settle in.  

The first lap went pretty well.  I rode a little bit sloppy and flubbed some stuff I should have rode smoothly, but I managed to keep my pace in check and stop myself from overheating.  The loose rocky fireroad downhills had lines made by the many sets of tires plowing down them, so I was able to relax in those sections where I normally ride horribly.  As I came towards the end of the first lap, I was told that Ellen was only about a minute ahead of me.  Hearing that and knowing that I was feeling pretty good, I knew it was time to get moving.  

I went into the second lap telling myself to relax and ride strong.  As I started the climb up "halfway hill,"  I looked ahead and saw a rider in the distance.  I immediately honed in on the bright pink socks and knew that it was Ellen.  Telling myself not to count my eggs before they hatch, I tried not to get too excited as I consistently closed the gap.  I kept the heat on, but tried to prevent myself from blowing up.  As I came into the singletrack before the infamous power line climb, I was mentally preparing myself to close the gap and take the lead.  Unfortunately, I made a sloppy move in the singletrack and burped my rear tire...  as I started to climb, I could hear a strange hissing sound.  Coincidentally, a cicada was buzzing right in time with the air leaking from my tire so I let myself think that's all it was.  As I completed the series of climbs and cornered back into the woods, I knew that I had a problem.  At that point, I started deliberating on whether or not I should stop and put air in or just be careful and keep going.  It was really squishy.  

Skyler in the background
(photo courtesy of M. Domnarski)
Definitely lost 50% of my air.  10 psi is a little too soft.
Ultimately, what prevented me from putting air in my tire was the fact that my CO2 pump was in the bag hanging under my saddle, and it's a complete pain in the ass to get that thing unzipped.  It would have taken me twice as long as normal because I would have been so flustered at having to stop.  Well I  think about it now, I should have stopped... or better yet, I should have just been carrying that pump in my pocket like I used to do...  anyhow, I did not stop.  I kept going - cursing every time I felt my rim hit a rock.  Somehow, I managed to stay with Ellen.  When I was finally able to pass her, I should have been aggressive and stayed in the lead, but I was worried I would make my situation worse if I got too crazy.  Being as gentle as I could, I kept up with her... right down the very last downhill.  I don't usually ride close to other riders - especially going down hill, but I knew I was close enough that even if the tire gave out, I could run if I had to.  We ended up coming into the finish area for an epic sprint to the line.  Bummer about that tire...


Regardless of the tire issue, that was one of the most exciting races I've had to date.  It was nice to be able to actually race someone at the end.  We were actually back and forth a bit, and I had to make decisions that I knew would affect the outcome of the race for me...  THAT is what makes racing extraordinarily fun!!  








results
(photo courtesy of M. Domnarski)
Domnarski Farm always has the best payout!  $200 for 2nd!
Thanks, Matt!!

Ladie's podium: Joanne Grogan 3rd, Ellen Noble 1st, and me 2nd
(photo courtesy of M. Domnarski)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Finishing in the same time zone as her on perfect tires is an accomplishment.

    Now to be a know it all douchebag...
    Domnarski Farm inaugural race was in 2008, but it was still beginner/sport/expert then. James Harmon and Bob Stine sent me to the woodshed in my first expert race that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoopsie... thanks, Charlie. I tried to find that out and must not have been looking at the right source.

      Delete

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.