Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Aftermath

So, what did I do when the smoothie and soup brigade ended last Friday evening?  I started eating wheat and corn products again (i.e. bread and chips).  And, what happened?  That lovely euphoric feeling of mental clarity and abundant energy slowly slipped into oblivion.  My brain has gone back to feeling scattered, and my body has felt a little more fatigued.  I can't be sure that it's one thing or the other, wheat or corn, but something is making me feel like crap.  If I learned anything in my health brigade, it's the undeniable power of whole, minimally processed foods.

Breakfast cereals and breads throw around words like "whole-wheat" and "whole-grain" as if they held the keys to unbridled health.  These words are really just camouflage for processed food.  If the food is made somewhere, using a bunch of ingredients, and comes in a labeled bag or box, it's processed.  It's as simple as that.  Last week, I consumed an extremely minimal amount of crap.  And, behold, I did not feel like crap.  Remember that saying, "You are what you eat"?  Yeah, eat crappy, be crappy.


Just a side note that this video reminded me of:  Fats are important.  Labels that say "low fat" are crap.  If you're eating an unhealthy processed food that says "low fat," you are just fooling yourself.  Our bodies actually need fat.  Not the kind that comes in a pint of ice cream, but the wonderful kind that comes in fish, avocados, and nuts.  For one thing, our brains need it to function.  Don't be fooled by labels.  Eat outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.