Sunday, January 15, 2012

"To know others is smart; to know yourself is wise."

Smoothies and Soups - DAY 2

Today went relatively well.  I forgot to mention in yesterday's post how often I've been peeing.  I think this is significant because it shows how well I'm hydrating myself at the same time that I'm bombarding my insides with nutrients.  Every smoothie I make is mostly liquid, so I haven't been drinking a ton of water.  Hydration is great!  Being hydrated ups the energy level and makes your whole body feel fantastic.  Having to pee all the time kind of sucks.  I had to find a tree twice yesterday on the mail route.  Thankfully, today was my day off, so I was able to use an actual bathroom every 30-60 minutes or so.  

As far as cravings go,  I made salsa for Skyler today, and I had to handle the corn chips.  Somehow, I managed to keep them away from my mouth.  In the evening, I had to make her a grilled cheese on the "everything" rye bread I love, but I didn't let myself get too envious.  I enjoyed some soup and the smile on her face.  She thinks I'm nuts.  My motto for the week is, I have the rest of my life to eat chips and shit if I want to, I can make it 7 days.  

Skyler even let me make her a couple of smoothies today.  She had one with breakfast that she loved, and another as a snack that she admitted tasted a lot like Reese's.  That's her in the picture at the right.  I would  never suck her into my food experiment, but I certainly do try to encourage her to be openminded about the stuff I blend up.  Not only did she enjoy some of my weird concoctions, but she even did some yoga with me.  What a trooper.

So, here are the recipes you've all been waiting for:


#1 (pic on right)
2 c spinach
2 pears
1 c. pineapple (canned in juice)
2 1/2 c H2O
1/2 c shredded carrot

It was absolutely delicious, and Skyler agreed that it was the best tasting smoothie yet.  That is, until she had the purple one.

#2
2 c almond milk
2 TB Peanut Butter
2 TB sunflower Seeds
1 c spinach

#3
*The one Skyler is holding.  I didn't drink it, but it was just for her as a yummy healthy treat.
1 c almond milk
1 c blueberries
1 TB PB
1 tsp Chocolate Nesquik

#4
*This one was just an experiment.  I wanted something that tasted like pizza because I was tired of sweet stuff.  I'm not going to call it a success or a failure, but I'll just say it was interesting.
1/2 tsp garlic
1/3 c spinach
2 white mushrooms
1/2 c diced tomatoes (garlic, basil, onion)
2 c tomato soup (the nasty Campbell's kind because that's what I had)
1 tsp Pasta & Pizza Magic Seasoning (google it - amazing)
(I couldn't take a picture of this because it looked like complete crap.)

#5
*I liked Skyler's snack so much that when I got done my workout, I had to make myself something similar.
1 1/2 c coconut milk
1 c blueberries
1 TB Peanut Butter
1/2 scoop of Vanilla whey protein powder 
(While I am pretty much non-dairy consuming, I still haven't given up the whey protein or cheese.  It's a struggle.)

So far, I've gotten some pretty cool recipes out of this experiment.  Feel free to let me know if you try any and what you think.  


3 comments:

  1. Great post... also, here's Joe Rogan's Kale shake he always talks about:
    1/2 a cucumber
    2 stalks of celery
    a few leafs of kale
    a bit of ginger
    a apple or a pear

    - Tony C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony, have you tried his shake? I tend to shoot for making mine taste as good as possible in conjunction with them being super healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried it, and it's edible, but I eat just about anything. I've really been roughing it just experimenting with different combinations in my smoothies. I know what you're talking about with "the glow". I actually noticed it in myself the other day. It's kind of strange, but it seems like you look surprisingly healthy for a change when you look in the mirror. Lol.

    Anyway, I think I'm going to try to stick to some recipes this week. It's easy to get out of control when you're just winging it with smoothies. I pulled ideas from here and there, but I really need to measure everything, etc. I'm liking it for sure, and probably eating healthier than I have in most if not all of my life.

    Thanks for recommending Joe Rogan's podcast. I'm a huge fan of the show. And now smoothies. Enjoy your "real" food (now that the smoothie week is done for you).

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.