Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oh.... my..... GAWD! I want some chips.

My will power is staying strong, but I'm definitely a crabbier person when denying myself the stuff I want to crunch on.  Winter break ended today, and back to school I went.  I brought a cooler loaded with smoothies, and sucked them down in between classes, but I don't think I had enough early enough.  The past few days I'd been pounding them down like an nascar fan drinking coors lights.  Today, I started off slow in my rush to get to my 8 o'clock class.  By 8:50, when class ended, I was hungry, and that lasted until I went home at 1pm for a ginormous bowl of soup and another smoothie for the ride to work.  I had more soup for dinner, and at this moment, I'm feeling as bloated as a nascar fan (if you are taking offense to this, please don't... it's a joke, laugh!).   I definitely "drank" too much today.  I intend to start tomorrow off better.

A valuable lesson can be learned by my failure today.  Eat more in the beginning of the day.  We need food for energy, and after fasting all night long (sleeping), we need to get some food in there so we have enough energy to make it through the 2pm slump without feeling the need to buy a monster coffee.  Not only that, but stuffing yourself full of food in the latter part of the day makes your body overloaded before sleep.  Going to bed with a full stomach does not promote a good night's sleep.

My energy level, regardless of my mishap today, has been pretty high.  In fact, I think I can fairly say that I'm totally over my 2pm enormous cup of coffee.  Having had issues with fatigue and focus in the past, I found myself thinking clearly in class this morning and didn't once daydream about napping (aren't daydreams what happen when you nap during the day?).

I don't have any recipes for you today, but I do have a secret to share.  I'm not completely alone in my crazy endeavor this week.  When Mike (the BF) figured out what I was doing Sunday night, he jumped on board.  He told me today that he's really enjoying the smoothies for breakfast and lunch, but he's definitely missing out on real food (as am I).  I can definitely see a change in him though.  He used to walk in after working looking ragged and miserable, but he's looking kind of glowy (new word) lately.   We have a date Saturday night to go to Applebee's for some real food.  Why there?  Gift certificates, of course.

Teabag wisdom:  "May you have love, kindness and compassion for all living things."

3 comments:

  1. Your gonna need a month of sodium free smoothies after Applebees!
    Is the smoothie a matter of convenience, i.e. wouldn't there be as much, if not more benefit to eating the foods you put in the smoothie whole, and letting your body do the food processing with teeth and enzymes?

    wv= frostorm; I sure hope not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized after I wrote a response that I was supposed to click "reply" so it would go right to you... oopsie. Answer is below... :)

      Delete
  2. Convenience? Yes, absolutely. I do a LOT of driving, and often in the morning. It's a lot easier to drink 2 pears and a cup of spinach than it is to eat pancakes. This was basically a week of seeing how I felt being pummeled by nutrients. I felt great. So now, I need to keep the good stuff in my diet and not blend it. I've been eating my fruit whole with the exception of one smoothie a day.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for commenting. Please keep it respectable and mostly PG. Thanks, Liz.